Public Invited to Free Seminar November 20
RIVERTON, UTAH — David E. Rencher, the Chief Genealogical Officer of FamilySearch, will be the keynote speaker at a free seminar on Saturday, November 20, 2010, at the Riverton FamilySearch Library. The monthly seminar also includes eight classes and runs from 9:00 a.m. to noon.
Keynote speaker David E. Rencher, AG, CG, FIGRS, FUGA, will be addressing the topic “What’s New at FamilySearch.” Rencher is employed by the Family History Department in Salt Lake City as the Chief Genealogical Officer for FamilySearch. A professional genealogist since 1977, he was accredited in Ireland research in 1981. He graduated from Brigham Young University in 1980 with a B.A. in Family and Local History. He is the Irish course coordinator and instructor for the Samford University Institute of Genealogical and Historical Research in Birmingham, Alabama. He is a past president of the Federation of Genealogical Societies and the Utah Genealogical Association.
Following the keynote presentation, there will be two blocks of four classes that will cover topics of interest to both beginning and advanced family historians.
Classes to be held from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. are:
· 25 Key Features of the FamilySearch Wiki – Fran Jensen
· The Quest for Your English Ancestors – Claire Brisson-Banks
· New FamilySearch in the Trenches – Thoughts about Best Practices – Laurie Castillo
· How to Begin Your Family History Journey – Ann Marie Bridges
The classes available from 11:00 a.m. to noon are:
· Legacy Family Tree: New FamilySearch Made Easy – Leonard Plaizier
· Inspire and Involve Your Family With Family History Christmas Gifts – Janet Hovorka
· Using the USGenWeb Site – Jerry Castillo
· Using Timelines as a Family History Research Tool – Sherwood Bridges
No registration is required for this free seminar. The library will also be open until 5:00 p.m. that day for patrons desiring to do individual family history research. For more information, please visit www.familysearch.org/fhc/riverton.
The Saturday Seminars will be held on the third Saturday of each month. The Riverton FamilySearch Library is located in the LDS Riverton Office Building at 3740 Market Center Drive. The facility is near the intersection of Bangerter Highway and 13400 South, just east of The Home Depot.