Zap the Grandma Gap
This keynote presentation shares the ten most important ideas for you to connect to your posterity by connecting your posterity to their past. If they are bored, you are doing it wrong. Based on the book and workbook Zap the Grandma Gap Power Up Workbook: The Particulars About How to Connect to Your Family by Connecting Them to Their Family History, (www.zapthegrandmagap.com) Janet Hovorka helps you figure out what will work in your family. You can take your family history from snoring and boring to exciting and inviting.
Janet Hovorka owns Family ChartMasters, an award winning genealogy chart printing service and is the author of the Zap the Grandma Gap–Connect to Your Family by Connecting Them to Their Family History book and workbooks. Janet writes The Chart Chick blog and the Zap the Grandma Gap blog, writes for numerous genealogy publications, and widely lectures about genealogy. She is the immediate past president of the Utah Genealogical Association and teaches genealogy and library science at Salt Lake Community College.
Following the keynote presentation from 9:00–10:00 a.m., two blocks of four classes each are offered that will cover topics of interest for beginning, intermediate, and advanced family history enthusiasts.
The classes available from 10:15 to 11:15 a.m. are:
• “Using Neighborhoods to Solve Difficult Problems: A Case History from New York State” - Bart Kowallis
• “Naturalization Records” - Pat Jensen
• “The Bred, the Wed, and the Dead: U.S. Vital Records” - Beth Taylor
• “Introduction to Ancestral Quest” - Bud Wood
The classes available from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. are:
• “U.S. Migration Patterns” - Mary Hill
• “Where There’s a Will There’s a Probate: U.S. Probate Records” - Beth Taylor
• “Organizing and Presenting Your Photos: Picasa and Other Freeware” - Don Snow and Linda Snow Westover
• “Using ‘My Source Box’ on FamilySearch and Family Tree” - Linda Baker
Registration is not required for this free seminar. The Riverton FamilySearch Library is located in the LDS Riverton Office Building at 3740 Market Center Drive. The facility is near the intersection of Bangerter Highway and 13400 South, just east of The Home Depot.