28 March 2012

RootsMagic 5.0.3 Update Released

Just in case you have been hiding out, on a long vacation, or just haven't had a chance to think about it, RootsMagic 5 was released about 4 months ago to include a number of new features. Three main features that I am finding so useful include the following:

Research Manager: No longer do you need to keep track of individual papers and files hanging out in your office or computer. The new Research Manager keeps track of all research logs you create, listing all you have found and all you have not found in your research and links to each person/family in your database. The more I use it the more I love it. I'm starting to get a better handle on my organization.

Timeline View: The new tab displays a full timeline of the person's events and those of his/her parents, siblings, spouses, and children. So I can select my great-grandmother, for instance, and immediately see how old she was on the day each of her children was born, when her husband died, or how old she was when her siblings died and where they died. I have access to my notes on this page and can therefore add notes to a fact that makes the narrative more meaningful and clear.

County Check: Once I got used to this I found I really like this feature. Based on a date that I enter for a fact, the county check tells me if the location I enter existed in the county name I entered and suggests the right one for the time period. So one person may have been born in Salt Lake City, Great Salt Lake, Utah Territory and died in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States. This works for all places in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia. This feature also links to an online historical map with county boundaries included.

Just a few days ago an updated version of RootsMagic (Version 5.0.3) was released with some things I've been waiting for!

Here is a breakdown of MY best-of-the-best "new" features added since version 5 was first released.

5.0.3 - 27 March 2012
  • New: New "Who Was There" list prints all people in a selected place at a selected time
  • New: "Fix Broken Media Links" now lets you select the starting drive and/or folder (This is one of my favorite features! It saves tons of time. Now, if I could only drill down further! )
  • New: Media Gallery now lets you sort media by either file name or caption
  • New: Added options to custom reports to shade alternate records or draw lines between records
  • New: Added "Living" checkbox to "Add Person screen"
  • New: Changed 95 year rule to 110 years in New FamilySearch features

5.0.2 - 25 January 2012
  • New: Added ability to split a place into separate place and place details (on Edit Place screen)
  • New: Added option to print place details in place index

See a detailed listing and images of new features in RootsMagic 5.

See a complete list of all new features and fixes added since version 5 was released.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for all this practical helpful detail, with the screen shots too! I appreciate the work you put into this post. Very timely for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so welcome. I'm glad it helped.

    ReplyDelete