26 November 2014

New RootsMagic 7 COMPARE FILES Feature - My Way!

WOW! I'm impressed! The new version 7 of RootsMagic has added a new "compare files" feature and I found a slick use for it.

I use RootsMagic as my my main family history software. However, I also use FamilyTreeMaker mainly to download my Ancestry tree information. But, the problem has been trying to get the info from my FTM file into my RootsMagic file without having to individually download any documents or events I want to save to my home files. I also didn't want to have to go through every single person and compare my FTM file with my RootsMagic file by having both software packages open and having to retype any differences I find. I've been avoiding it like the plague!

RootsMagic's new feature just saved me hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of tedious work. Here's what I did.

1. I opened and synced my FTM file.

2. I exported a gedcom 5.5 file from my FTM file and gave it a name to remind me where the gedcom file came from.

3. I created a new RootsMagic 7 database with the same name I assigned to the gedcom file. (or any name you want)

4. I imported the gedcom file into the new RM file I had just created.

Now...

5. I opened my main RootsMagic 7 file.

6. Select FILE -- COMPARE FILES and then I selected the new RM file I created from the downloaded FTM gedcom.


During the comparison process you will see the status of the comparison.



Here is what the comparison displays. You can click on the column headers to resort.


As you can see there are little empty boxes displayed to the left of some events. Selecting a box allows you to pass the specific data from one file to the other. And you can EDIT your person from within the Compare File box. So if I find something in my Ancestry tree file (on the right) that I want to add to my RootsMagic tree file (on the left) I can just click the box and RootsMagic will pass the info to my main file.

Also, there are icons under the "S" for Sources (or a camera under the "M" for media). I can click on any of the icons like this check marked one.


When I do, this is what appears.

Now I can copy one or all of my sources found using my Ancestry tree (on the right) directly into my main RootsMagic file! To transfer just some of them click on the individual boxes.

I don't have to complete the entire list on the COMPARE file. If I close the COMPARE file it will eliminate the comparisons that I already worked. Then when I open the file again and do another COMPARE FILES I can just continue with whatever records are listed. Eventually, I can just delete the RootsMagic file that I created from the FTM file.

If you also use FTM, you probably know that when you  sync your file, all the documents and pictures that are attached to your Ancestry tree end up on your computer. They are stored in your "Documents/Family Tree Maker" folder on your computer. 

(I used to copy some of those media files into the same folder where I store my RM media, but that was a real pain, besides taking up valuable space).  Here is what displays on the comparison file if there is media (click on the camera icon). Now all I have to do is copy the media link into my main database and no more copying of those FTM images! RootsMagic now knows where that media file is located and points to it.


Now, you can also receive a copy of a file from a "cousin" or an old database and compare the files and clean up your data. This is a fantastic new feature!! Enjoy!!

NOTE TO LDS MEMBERS: When the final step of the Ancestry/FamilySearch feature is added, you will be able to pass Ancestry sources from your tree into the FamilySearch Family Tree. Then you can download each source directly into your RootsMagic file. 


9 comments:

  1. Saying this is a "slick use for it" is an understatement. I hadn't even considered doing this but I'm going to try it right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be able to by-pass the Family Tree Maker step by exporting a GEDCOM file from Ancestry.com. This is a mind-expanding idea. I was already working on moving sources from MyHeritage.com to RootsMagic so I will expand my investigations. I will probably write about it with copious references to you and your blog! Thanks for a fabulous idea. It will likely be limited by the limitations of the GEDCOM file however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous idea for those of us who have an Ancestry tree! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo Carol's comment. This idea is extremely helpful and is greatly appreciated! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all this. Now, all I need is time to make it work. Thanks, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really exciting, but I have one question. Could you obtain the same result just downloading a GEDCOM from Ancestry without going through FTM? OR, is the main reason for doing it this way, is to collect the image files that if I am correct do not come with a GEDCOM directly from Ancestry? I have an older copy of FTM that I have not really used but it will sync with Ancestry and I am really interested in trying this now. Thanks for the details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judi, it won't work exactly the same. However, you can just download the gedcom from Ancestry and import into RootsMagic without a problem. However, you will not get your images and documents to download. You will only get whatever detail is covered in the standard gedcom 5.5.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a Nice post. Thanks for Awesome tips Keep it up
    rootsmagic-crack

    ReplyDelete